Sunday, August 17, 2008

In which the pictures look shockingly similar to the first post

So, I want to break these things up into separate projects, though this is more of an extension of the first. After I plied and hung up yesterday's yarn to dry, I began carding some more from the same bag of raw wool. I also had some dyed light green wool (back of the minivan) and some bright blue corriedale which (wait for it...) I actually purchased from a yarn shop in Troy, NY (Thank you, Lana!) and did NOT get out of a vehicle in a parking lot. Look how pretty:



So while I was carding the superold white and grey wool, I threw in pinches of blue and green corriedale. I went to town spinning that stuff last night and I really, really liked the way it looked on the bobbins. If I hadn't woken up this morning and plied it before I even had coffee, I would put in a picture of that. Next time.

Anyway, I had spun two half-bobbins (or so I thought) worth of single ply yarn last night in pretty white, grey, brown, blue, and green. I already know that the very important overnight setting of the twist is going to be the hardest part of this whole process. As I said, I woke up this morning and plied the singles and completely filled my bobbin, grinding the wheel to a halt. There wasn't that much of the singles left, but it was enough that I was kicking myself a little.

Onto the niddy noddy, which I learned yesterday measures the yarn roughly into yards. By my incredibly unscientific estimation (factoring in trying to count while getting my whole upper body tangled in yarn and cursing) I made 92 yards of this stuff.

Wash, soak, rinse



Hang to dry



Here's a close-up, so you can see what the colors did.



It's interesting, but still inconsistent and still a bit fuzzy for my taste. I also started playing around with soy fibers last night, which appear to be making something completely different.

No comments: