Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Soy!

Ok, so clearly I need some practice with the whole consistent-yarn-diameter thing. Whatever.



Soy fibers are way easier to spin than 10 year old wool. At some points, though, it would just get so thin that I had to stop and literally cut it so I could start again from a higher point. I say cut it because neither I, nor Adam, could break the single thread by pulling on it. Crazy!



I read some horror stories that soy can take up to a week to dry after you ply and soak it, and that it can congeal into a gross mass during the process. Thankfully, neither of those things happened.

I have a lot of soy left, so this is an experiment that I will be repeating shortly, and hopefully with better results. During the plying process, there was some tangling and some breaking and some hasty tying. Kind of tragic.

Either way, here's a close-up of my 95% dry soy yarn. I wound up with almost exactly 100 yards.

No comments: